Saturday 10 November 2012

Editing step by step - Post Production



Evidently it is clear thar I am following my storyboard effectively, and therefoe this highlights to me that the use of storyboards are very benedicial, as they allow me to edit in chronological order, and excatly how I imagined my music video to be, therefore this limits my mistakes, and therefore means that my errors are limited, and lastly therefore, I will not have to change my editing as much as I would have without my story board 




Firstly I started to edit on Windows Live Movie Maker. I chose this software because I have some experience from my Comedy Taster Movie, which here I used this software to edit my mini project.

As we are all aware that the name of my song is Jhene Aiko - Stranger. I firstly selected the song from my own files, the song is '3:36' seconds so this already tells me that I have to create enough editing for this length of time. 

I used the 'Fade from white' effect to introduce the scene, the white effect then fades out gradually. I also brightened the video, because it was initially darker than this.
I have used the cross fade transition because presents a smooth form of the transition from one scene to another. technique moreover it links the two shots together, as they are occuring at the same time and location.

 Next I used the fade in white effect, because 

I have used the fade to black editing technique to close the scene

I simply just added no effect to the beginning of this shot, so therefore it produced a jump cut effect. I then used reduced the speed from '1x' to '0.5x' to produce a slow motioned effect. I wanted to use a slow motioned effect to slowly reveal and allow my audience concentrate on the fact that they both recognise each other
To ensure that Bemi lip syncing matched the lyrics of the original song 'Jhene Aiko - Stranger,' I trimmed the video, so that it fit the lyrics. It was quite difficult to achieve this smoothly because when I filmed this shot Bemi had not learnt the words to scratch so I therefore my trimming had to be very precise.

I used the 'mirror' effect, where the previous shot, appears and fades into the next shot; so therefore Bemis confused face appears into the next shot, where both her and Lewis are laughing and smiling. I have also included a fade into white shot, to present to the audience that these scenes are flashbacks that Bemi is having.

Again I have used the mirror effect in this shots to show the association between the two shots.
To follow the previous shot, I used the 'fade to white' tool, to connote her innocence. I also used the 'trim' tool to trim the length of the shot, in order for her lip sync to be precise to the lyrics of the actual song

Next I followed my story board where It presents to me that the next shot was scene 3. I slowed down the speed of this shot, from '1x' to '0.5' just so that it corresponded with the pace and rhythm of the song.
Next, I included the shot where Bemi is lip syncing again, I also trimmed this shot so that it corresponded with the original lyrics of the song. 
Next I included another shot, similar to the previous shot, however, Bemi is positioned standing, in contrast to her sitting down on the floor. Moreover I trimmed the shot, in order for Bemi's lip sync to match the lyrics of the song.

Next I rotated this shot of Bemi by using the shot, using the 'mirror vertical' effect' I did this to contrast the same exact previous shot in the beginning  to connote and reveal to the audience the point in time in the video, where her relationship turns 'upside down' Moreover I trimmed the shot, in order for Bemi's lip sync to match the lyrics of the song.
After that, I added the shot where Bemi was walking sorrowfully. I slowed down the speed from '1x' to '0.5x' to emphasise her unhappiness.  

Next follows a scene of Bemi and Lewis. I used the 'through black' effect, where the scene opens with a blacked out screen, then gradually fades. I introduced this scene with a black effect, to connote a sense of doom and disaster, which is approaching further on in the song.

I included the point of view shot of Lewis, lasting less than a second. Even though I knew that this was important, I felt that when I included the shot for more than three seconds, it looked unneeded  and moreover the conversation on the phone, was not as clear as I aimed for it to be, so therefore me presenting it for many seconds where the audience had enough time to read it, would be pointless, and confusing, due to the fact that the phone screen was not clear enough (due to the low quality of my iPhone camera)

After that, was just a jump cut, to present the sudden anger from Bemi as Lewis pays no attention to her.

I then used the 'wipe pan right' transition to present new senario, where Bemi begins to lip sync.

 I then used the cross fade effect, to present that this situation is occuring at the same time, moreover I have included this efefct, to show the audience that they time has gone by, in other words they have been arguing for some time.

Yet again  I used the cross fade effect. just to present that this situation is occuring at the same time,
I trimmed the length shot, in order for Bemi's lip sync to match the lyrics of the song.. I also brightened up the shot, by using the brightening tool, to improve the quality of the video, to enhance the realism of my video

 I used the 'trim' tool to trim the length of the shot, in order for her lip sync to be precise to the lyrics of the actual song

Afterwards I used the cross fade effect once again. I used this to reveal her change in position, yet still in the same location. I have dont this connotes her change of emotions, throughout her relationship
Yet again I used the cross fade effect,

I then included the shot of Bemi and Lewis in love again. I 'split' the shot, so that the mise en scene of the basket ball being thrown matched the pace and beat of the drum. I have dont this to connote that their relationship at this point is in order.

I then included the shot of Bemi and Lewis in love again. I brightned up the entire shot, to connote, a sense of hope in the relationship.

The circular narrative - This shot, is the repeat of the opening scene, where Bemi and Lewis walk past each other. I copied (Ctrl C) and pasted (Ctrl v) the opening scene. However I trimmed to shot, as it was time consuming. However I kept the speed the same ('0.5x')







No comments:

Post a Comment