Sunday 23 September 2012

Conventions of an R&B Music video

Conventions of an R&B Music Video. I have located the print screens from ... http://www.slideshare.net/Flora1993/conventions-of-rb.


My research of the codes and conventions of fashion in an R&B music video...
Suggests that men are often 'stereotypically' topless, in jeans, reveal their tattoos, and flaunt their jewellery. With the combination of these four factors, it tends to target young teenage girls. I believe that in order for my music video to reach out to its usual target audience, following the stereotypical codes and conventions of fashion will benefit my music video. I want my male actor to be in jeans and subtly flaunt his jewellery, 

This slide suggests that the typical codes and conventions of women in R&B music videos, involve minimal clothing, dramatic hair and make up, high heels and lastly jewellery.
 Feminists like Laura Muvley suggeststhat this is purposely for a 'Male gaze.' I hope to challenge the usual codes and conventions of a R&B by not appointing her to wear revealing clothes or heels. However I am going to obey the use of dramatic hair and makeup, to connote her power. This objects Laura Muvelys theory of women as objects of the 'Male 'Gaze' however other post feminists have identified this as a 'Female Gaze' which is where women assert their right to dress and be sexually attractive to connote 'Confidence, empowerment, and independence to the female audience.
Lastly I believe jewellery is an essential item in any music video, so therefore I will also be appointing my actress to wear jewellery.




This slide suggests that slow songs  often apply a grey scale or sepia tone effect.








1 comment:

  1. Play will take you all over Charlotte and beyond with live event coverage on the weekends and recommendations of where to go and what to do. webpage

    ReplyDelete