Saturday 29 September 2012

Questionnaire Results and analysis

I have now tallied up my results from my questionnaire. I used Microsoft excel to draw a pie chart, to represent the result of my entire data.
                               What Gender are you?

For my first question I asked my target audience (Males and Females 13-25 years) 'What gender are you?' I asked this question because I wanted to subtly try and understand the wants and needs requested from both genders. I equally handed out my questionnaire to 10 males and 10 females. This generates a fair result from my target audience, and also ensures that there is no chance for a bias outcome. I am also going to consider both genders' wants and needs, in my music video.



                                   What age group do you belong in?

                        Male

Female

For my second question I asked my target audience 'What age group do you belong in?' I asked this to investigate the wanted and expected conventions in a music video for the most popular age range in my questionnaire. Evidently the '16-18' received the most; it received '16' votes, whilst the '13-15' only received 1 vote and '18+' received 3 votes. Evidently there are also 9 male respondents and 7 male respondents whom all total up to the most popular age group. I need to ensure that I know and understand fully the expected conventions 16-18year olds expect to find in a R&B/ Soul music video. I fall into this category so therefore my opinions can also be beneficial in constructing my final finished piece.
I asked this question because I was intrigued to see if there were any noticeable similarities or difference between the older respondents. However I did not really notice a massive difference within the different age categories moreover there were no visible similarities either. To conclude, from analysing this question, I have decided that I am going to focus mainly (but not only) on the likes and interests, of 16-18 year old, because they seem to be the age group who heavily observe and enjoy music videos.




                                    What gender do you expect to see in the music video?

At this moment (before the respondent answers question number three), I accessed 'Jhene Aiko - Stranger' on my Blackberry phone, in my music file, and played it aloud. I did this because I wanted to increase the senses and visual imagery, and expectations expected from my respondents (for the song's music video); this will also allow them to selectively identify what codes and conventions they may wish to see, just by listening the lyrical aspect.
For question number three, i asked my target audience 'What gender do you expect to see in the music video?' I asked this question, because it is important that my target audience have a collective say in what gender they have expectations to view in my music video.
Evidently the majority of my target audience prefers to view both genders 'Male and Female', this received 10 votes. however the gender 'Female' received 9 votes, which is close to the majority votes. To ensure that I attract and please my target audience I am going to have both independent shots of my male and female actors, and shots of both together.

Male

Evidently from my graph (from the male respondents), it shows that the majority prefers/expects to see a female in the music video. This result can support Feminist Theory of Voyeurism - This is when erotic pleasures are gained from looking at a sexual object (who is unaware of being watched). The males have been exposed to music videos, and they may witness females on display, and are now desensitised that the presence of women are solely on display(rather the narrative function), and objectified for a male gaze. However I am going to avoid implementing the idea of 'Voyeurism' which leads to a 'Male Gaze.' In contrast I am gong to follow the codes and conventions of an R&B music video; I am going to subtly clothe my female model, in quite revealing outfits. I am doing this to ensure I attract and keep my male target audience.

Female

 Evidently from my graph it shows that my female target audience expect/prefer to see both the male and female gender. I believe that my female target audience have conjoined the lyrical aspect of the song 'Stranger.' Jhene expresses her emotions about a man who says 'he is different.. but is the same...' I have taken this into consideration and I support the idea of having both a male and female actors, to create a sense of realism towards the song, I am going to ensure that both a boy and a girl and boy are featured in my music video to satisfy my female audience want and needs.




                                         Would you prefer the music video to follow a ...

For question number four, I asked my target audience 'Would you prefer the music video to follow a Performance, Narrative or Concept based scheme?'. It seems clear that the majority of people feel that a narrative is useful to implement in a R&B music video, as 12/20 suggested that this will be the best idea. A narrative video presents a sequence of events.  This is within keeping my expectations as it was one of the generic conventions of a music video that Godwin's theory states when he identified his 6 features of a music video. This involves a relationship between the lyrics and the visuals. I am going to be applying this in my music video to keep my target audience satisfied. I asked this because I wanted to know the themes that attracted my target audience to watch music videos in the frist place. To ensure that I precisely meet my audiences wants and needs, to produce a narrative music video, I am going to construct a Story board, to generate a particular storyline. The storyline must be associated with the lyrical aspect of the song (Jhene Aiko - Stranger), this will create a connection between the song and the visuals, to increase the realism of my music video.  Moreover, just in case I have some difficulties with formulating an obvious story line in my music video, I am going to aim to record some scenes where my actor/s are just lip singing (performance and concept based). To conclude, I gathered that I am going to be taking all my audiences preferences into considerations, and I may use all 'bases' to create my music video


                            Male

It is evident and apparent that the majority of my male target audience would have prefered that my music video was concept based receiving five votes. To not marginalise the ones who chose the concept based theme, I will be including a couple scenes with my actor just miming the song, this will have no relation to the narrative nor will it be a performance.
Female
For question number four, I asked my target audience 'Would you prefer the music video to follow a Performance, Narrative or Concept based scheme?'.  It seems clear that the majority of females feel that a narrative is useful to implement in a R&B music video, as 8/10 suggested that this will be the best idea for my music video. This received over fifty percent so therefore I will aim to try and implement a narrative based theme in my music video, to ensure that I am meeting all me target audience wants and needs. The title of my chosen song is 'Stranger' so therefore these results means that I must link the visuals with the lyrical aspect, to form the narrative




What colours would you expect to see the artist in an R&B/Soul music video wearing?
Evidently from my results, it shows that the majority would prefer my artist to wear white. Due to the genre of my song choice, as it icludes 'Soul' the colour connotes purity and nnocence so I can see why my target audience preffered my artist to wear white. Howver the second most favourite colour chosen for my artist to wear is the colour black which reciveved twelve votes. Black connotes strength and authority, which relates heavily to the R&B genre. To ensure that I meet my target audences wants and needs, I am going to ensure that my artist is clothed white, in some scenes, and also in black in some scenes. Moreover I can include a white or black background or loacation which deliver a white or black backgrond in some scenes,

What media technique used in a music video do yo believe is the most attractive  enjoyable aspect when viewing? (rank 1 being most - 5 being least)

I asked my target audience 'What media technique used in a music video do yo believe is the most attractive  enjoyable aspect when viewing? (rank 1 being most - 5 being least). I tallied up each score/rank given by my respondents. The technique that received the least in total, can now be classified as the most attractive, this is because a rank of 1 equals to the most important and a rank of 5 means the least, so therefore a high total represents very little importance,
Evidently from my graph, it shows that my target audience believe that 'Fashion/Clothing' is the most attractive and enjoyable aspect when viewing, this reveals to me that I have to heavily follow the usual codes and conventions of especially the R&B and soul genre, who relies and puts great emphasis on the fashion aspect of its music video. The bar chart also reveals that Location/setting are second most attractive aspect when viewing, so therefore I am going to ensure that my location and setting heavily relates to my chosen song, and the narrative. My respondents have suggested that the Lighting aspect is the least attractive, I am not going to disregard this technique in my music video however I am going to focus more on the other techniques.



1 comment:

  1. Well done Raliat, now you need to explain how these results are going to inform your planning of your music video - how will you ensure you attract your target audience and keep them!

    ReplyDelete