Friday 26 October 2012

lighting, makeup, costumes, location Scene 1

SCENE ONE -
This scene is just where Bemi and Lewis walk past each other on the street, and Bemi thinks he looks a little bit familiar, 'are you sure we haven't met before' (linking the lyrics to the visuals, which follows Andrew Godwin's theory of linking the lyrics to the visuals). However it turns out not to be Lewis however just a random boy. (the revelation of the different boy will appear at the end of the video)
Above is my unfinished story board, for one of my scenes in my music video. Where the girl and they boy walk past each other on the street. She recognises him, and so does he. I have made this little production on windows live movie maker, I previously just recorded it on my iPhone. This scene will be involving various shots such as:

Long shot: To introduce the main artist, and to introduce the audience to the scene and location. Moreover to present the movement of the boy and the girl on the street.

Medium shot:
Close up sot: To present importance, and also show relevant emotions shown through the facial expressions. The emotions I will be directing my actors to show are
- Confusion
- The girl recognises the boys face
Shot reverse shot: So that the audience can be aware of each others perception of the situation
Point of view shot: To present what the boy and the girl are viewing (each other)
Tracking shot: To show the movement of the boy and the girl as they walk past each other

The time line



This is an important area of my planning . It will allow me to place a time frame on each shot and fit perfectly with the soundtrack. From creating a video storyboard I am able to see what frames need to be a certain length perfectly in relation to the song. Creating a plan like this improves time management and organisation, so that I know exactly what to film, for how long, which characters need to be in the shot, and whatever props and visual aids I may require.
Costume
Towards the right is what I have informed my female actor (Bemi) and my male actor (Lewis) to wear on the filming date 26/10/2012. The theme is casual, any other day outfit, for the first scene.
I have chosen a turquoise colour for my female 'artist' to wear, because this colour connotes an emotional  imbalance. This heavily relates to the narrative of my music video. There is no specific colour scheme in this scene as it will be filmed at night time, so therefore, a colour scheme may not be as effective towards the audience as much as I want it to be.The majority of my target audience voted that the fashion and clothing of an Artist are the most important factor in an R&B music video.
I have challenged the stereotypical codes and conventions of an R&B music video, in terms of the female expectations. I have not exposed her, for as Laura Mulvey suggested that this is purely for a Male Gaze. I avoided this convention, however I dressed my female ;artist' quite sexy in a tight pencil skirt, and a pet plum style top, just to have her right to dress up and be sexually attractive, which supports the Post Feminism female gaze approach.
In contrast I have followed the stereotypical codes and conventions of a male featuring in an R&B music video, as I have appointed him to wear , a hoodie and baggy jeans with trainer these all represent an urban aspect in the R&B genre, however I will not be having him go topless, which is commonly presented in an R&B music video.

Bemi                                                                             Lewis
Location 


This is where  intend to shoot Scene 1. I want to film it during the evening where there is some natural light coming into my video. I have chosen to film my first scene here, because during the evening time of the day, the lights on the pole appear, this crates a really pretty setting for my music video. Hopefully if I film whilst it gets pitch black, I hope the additional lights help brighten up the scene.


Hair and Make up

I have decided to suggest to Bemi, to have long weave with a middle parting in the middle, as I noticed that middle parting weave was extremely popular in R&B soul music videos. Beyonce often has this hairstyle. It is very feminine and looks classy and attractive.

Bemis make up should be very slightly natural, as it promotes innocence and purity, however this challenges the codes and conventions of a R&B music video, as they usually wear heavy make up to stand out.  She will have no evident eye make up, to increase the realism of a 'casual day out' towards the audience. 
In contrast Bemi will wear a subtly bright pink lipstick/lip gloss to stand out in the dark setting.  The pink colour connotes femininity, it can also be connected to romance, love, and friendship  which plays a huge role in the narrative of my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment